Eureka High St. Bellevue


Policy for the Installation of Private Water/Sewer Lines

click here for printable version

1. If your property is not already in the Water/Sewer District, a letter requesting to be added to the District needs
to be sent to the New Shoreham Sewer Commission at P.O. Box 774, Block Island, RI 02807 listing the
property owner’s name, address, telephone numbers on/off island and Plat and Lot of parcel to be included.
Once approved by the Water/Sewer Commission your request will be forwarded to the Town Council for
final approval into the District. With approval by the Sewer Commission and the Town Council, separate
allocations can then be purchased or reserved for water and sewer.

dist maps
2. The property will need adequate allocation for water and/or sewer before connection to either system. If
allocation is available, the amount can be reserved without payment for a period of 30 days. To determine
your allocation status and/or purchase, you are to contact the Water/Sewer Districts’ allocation administrator,
Susan Garneau at 401-466-3231. All charges/fees outstanding or dues for water/sewer service must be paid in
full before any new allocation for service can be approved through the office of the Director of Public Works
at Town Hall. Once the allocation status is determined the customer can pick up a permit application to
connect to the water or sewer lines. 
3. Permit applications to connect to water or sewer are located at the Sewer District office which is located at the
New Shoreham WPCF on Spring St (across from the Manisses). The permit applications can also be emailed
or faxed upon request. The customer should call to make an appointment with Water Superintendent John Breunig at 401-466-3232 or Sewer Superintendent Dylan Chase at 401-466-3231 for instructions and guidance
through the rest of the permit application process.


click here for permit application
4. When all applications are approved, the contractor will then be required to submit two sets of plans for
review: 1 set to the Town Engineer:(James Geremia & Associates Inc., 272 Exchange Street, Providence, RI
02903-1025) and 1 set submitted to the Water Superintendent John Breunig (466-3232) and/or Sewer
Superintendent Dylan Chase (466-3231).
5. Upon completion of plan review and before any work begins, with the proper permits in hand, it is the
responsibility of the contractor to notify the Superintendent of the anticipated date of completion to establish a
time line for necessary inspections before any lines are buried. This inspection is required to rule out potential
for infiltration, use of improper materials, and to avoid future public health problems as required in the
Town’s Utilities Standards. A copy of the Standards is available at the Superintendent’s office at the Water
and Sewer Plants.
6. All contractors must meet the requirements (listed in the Town’s Utilities Standards) for licensing and
insurance and provide proof on demand before any work has begun. The contractors are required to contact digsafe before they can dig anywhere with the districts.

7. When a line is going to go in or next to a state road, the RI Department of Transportation (RIDOT) requires a
special use permit. Any time state roads are involved in construction or maintenance by private individuals, a
permit must be acquired prior to the start of any work.

In any new construction, a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) will not be issued until the Building Official , Marc Tillson (401-466-3206), is notified that an inspection of lines by the Water/Sewer Department is complete and the Superintendent has approved the work.




Copyright New Shoreham Water District

Site Designed and Maintained by Block Island Water Co.

New Shoreham Water District, PO Box 998, Block Island, RI 02807 / 401-466-3232/

In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture Policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability.  If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866)632-9992 to request in the form.  Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202)690-7442
 or email at

The New Shoreham Sewer Commission and Water Board are an equal opportunity providers and employers.